Top Drug Defense Attorney in Racine
Choose an aggressive defense attorney.
Do you need a drug defense attorney?
Drug defense attorney work is one of our primary criminal law practices at Richards & Dimmer, S.C. Other than homicide and sexual assault, drug charges are one of the most serious crimes in Wisconsin.
Whether federal or in Wisconsin, drug offenses break down into three primary groups:
- (1) Possession of a controlled substance;
- (2) Delivery (or sale) of a controlled substance;
- (3) Manufacture (or growth) of a controlled substance.
Penalties for committing a drug offense vary greatly, depending on the following factors:
- What is the controlled substance?
- How much of the controlled substance was seized by the police?
- Why did the defendant have the controlled substance?
- Has the defendant been convicted of possessing a controlled substance before?
- Does the defendant have a drug abuse problem?
A drug conviction can have substantial, longterm negative effects on a person's future:
- Loss of current employment and struggles to find new work;
- Loss of education opportunities, including federal student aid;
- Permanent felony record, even if you are under 25 years of age or have no prior record;
- Future drug charges are more serious - if you have a prior offense, then your next charge will almost certainly be a felony.
Hiring a drug defense attorney like Attorneys Richards or Dimmer is the first step in addressing the above-issues. Whether State of Wisconsin or Federal charges, here is how we can help challenge your drug charge and aggressively protect your rights and future:
- We challenge a traffic stops, extension of the traffic stop after initial contact with the driver and passengers, and the ultimate search of the vehicle;
- We challenge statements made after arrest, especially if the officer's fail to abide by Miranda-Goodchild case law before conducting an interview;
- We can challenge the probable cause supporting a search warrant or the reasonableness of the search warrant execution;
- We can challenge the credibility of the cooperating citizen or "CI" who worked for the government in a controlled buy;
- We can challenge the weight and packaging of a seized quantity of drugs;
- We can challenge the search of a residence if conducted outside of a search warrant;
- We can challenge the search of cellular phones or other electronic data (e.g. GPS) used to connect clients to drug use/dealing.
- We can obtain and review search warrants, as the government often relies upon these documents to enter a client’s home. We demand to inspect the physical evidence to confirm that the State even has the drugs they say they do.
- We can obtain State Crime Laboratory reports and cross-reference them with the police reports to confirm that the substances tested are the drugs the prosecution has charged our client with. Drug cases are defendable — typical defenses include personal use (if the quantity is substantial), lack of possession, and challenges to the truthfulness of the State’s witnesses, particularly a confidential informant.
- If necessary, we can act as a facilitator between the State, the court, and you, for obtaining vital treatment and direct the case toward a rehabilitative (rather than punitive) sentence.
- Most importantly, we have years of jury trial experience, and wins, in both Wisconsin State and Federal drug cases.